Easy for the Train

Do you ever pause, just before dashing out of the house in the morning, saying to yourself,

“I can’t face that train journey without some knitting”?

I do!

Apart from being valuable knitting time, knitting helps me ignore the the “less pleasant and irritating” aspects of some of the other commuters. Anyone who has ever taken a rushhour train in London won’t need that elaborated on!

I had about 4 minutes to spare before I had to leave so this was a quick decision – Socks!

Grab the nearest sock yarn from my stash and the faithful, boring Regia free pattern I always seem to knit. Stuff in my knit pouch and run for the train.

For a project started with so little thought – I’m rather pleased! 😀

The yarn is Garnstudio DROPS Fabel – some I bought with my friend Judie a couple of years ago at a knit show (Ally Pally I think). The nice lady on the stand said 3 balls would make 2 pairs of socks so Judie and I bought 3 balls each of two different colours and swapped what we didn’t use. Judie finished both her pairs ages ago!

It’s not a thrilling commuting project but ideal for the train and those funky colours wake me up in the morning too!!

From Easy for the train

11 Responses

Page 1 of 1
  1. Terri (terdotty on rav)
    Terri (terdotty on rav) January 7, 2011 at 7:35 am |

Cute socks – as you say, nice distraction technique!

2. CraftyCripple
    CraftyCripple January 7, 2011 at 7:57 am |

I’m getting back to socks too nothing better to start the New Year. Portable straight forward, quick fix and useful.

3. josiekitten
    josiekitten January 7, 2011 at 8:07 am |

I always have a sock on the go – great portable project, and you never know when you might have a few minutes of knitting time!

4. Tricia F
    Tricia F January 7, 2011 at 10:55 am |

Love the wool – guess it knits up in the stripey pattern all by itself. Love that sort of wool! Good on you doing socks – will have to get back to them again. Used to knit OH’s years ago.
    x Tricia

5. Jo
    Jo January 7, 2011 at 11:51 am |

I love the yarn. I bet everyone on the train wishes they had such jazzy socks.

6. Kat
    Kat January 7, 2011 at 6:48 pm |

I do that all the time! I have what I call a “mindless” project to keep my fingers busy, just a hat or (more then not) a scarf. There is always one stuffed into my purse! One scarf has taken me about 3 months to complete, but it’s my mindless project for waiting periods!

7. pip
    pip January 7, 2011 at 7:56 pm |

that’s pretty self patterning yarn. I’m actually starting to get a little jealous of the knitting time train commuters have (it’s really difficult to knit while driving 😉

8. sue
    sue January 9, 2011 at 3:10 pm |

What fab socks. I haven’t tried the 4 needle method yet but will try it on my next attempt. They would certainly brighten up any commute.

9. Lucy
    Lucy January 20, 2011 at 5:01 pm |

Love that yarn, those socks look lovely! I’m relatively new to knitting and really want to try making socks for the first time. Is there a pattern you’d recommend starting with? It’s hard to find a place to start online…

I’m new to your blog and enjoying reading – thanks!