My knitting mojo in waning a bit – probably an early onset attack of my usual SKS (That’s “Summer Knitting Slump”) and my blogging mojo has suddenly been even worse!
But I have been knitting…and using the washing machine 😮
Fortunately, the washing machine turned and untidy, gappy, unevenly knit, coarse garment into a soft, drapy delight 🙂
So what was this miracle yarn? I have just finished knitting up the Louet Euroflax Sportweight – a 100% wetspun linen- that I bought on my New York trip.
This is the yarn…
And I’ve made the Everyday Linen Raglan from Purl Soho. Click the link for the free pattern 🙂
So I’ll show you my fave picture of my wearing the finished garment…although Ziggy obscures most of it!
Hmm Maybe a better picture where you can see the knitting?
So …. a quick summary
The good :
- I love this colour! It’s very “in” this year and I am extra chuffed that I was ahead of the curve and bought the yarn last year 😀
- I love the yarn. It’s a little stringy to knit with and comes out a little untidy straight off the needles but that evens out beautifully when washed, tumble dried and finished.
- The drape is lovely, floppy and soft.
- It’s machine washable!!! (OK – I’m lazy)
- Cute “sweatshirty” triangle detail at the neck
- Curved “bumflap” to disguise my ever growing behind(!)
- The pattern is easy to follow
- I love the rolled hems – achieved with a provisional cast on and a three needle bind-off to fold up the hem – all very clearly shown in the big clear pictures in the pattern (much easier than picking up the cast on edge which I had done before)
- I love the idea of recreating an old fashioned sweat top for a casual “with jeans” jumper
The not quite so good:
- The neckline is very wide – I’m not keen on flashing my bra straps – I’m not 17 any more…
- Neckline is very low at the back
- Doesn’t look great with any shape t shirt that I own underneath – it all peaks out and looks messy (see pictures!)
- I didn’t like the pattern’s cuff – 8 rows of purl – so I added the same rolled hem as the bottom edge
Wanna see some pictures of what I mean?
|Completed Knit Report|
|Name:||Everyday Linen RaglanRavelry link to pattern|
|Pattern:||by Purl Bee at Purl Soho, New Yorkl|
|Yarn:||Louet Euroflax Sport|
|Pattern Problems:||It was hard to get the front “triangle” neat|
|Pattern Modifications:||Did the rolled hem on the cuffs|
|Washing and Wearing:||Came out of the washer and dryer in surprisingly good shape! Lovely and soft and relaxed to wear but the neckline makes it problematic for me.|
|Knit It Again???:||I’d definitely knit with this yarn again but not this pattern – the neckline needs to be different.|
|Difficulty:||Medium – looks simple but includes shortrow shaping, some “easy to trip you up” shaping at the front triangle and a provisional cast on – maybe not for beginers|
|Other Postings Relating To This One:||Colds, bathrooms and New York|