As you may have already guessed – I’ve had SKS (Summer Knitting Slump) really bad!
Knitting, blogging, even buying yarn all seemed another chore I had to fit in. I even considered stopping blogging ! I think I had been pushing too hard at reducing my WIPs and getting through my queue without stopping to have fun.
I decided that the only way to shake myself out of this funk was too give myself a blog-break and knit something small, fun and indulgent that I really wanted to make.
Hmmm….how about the Yaacov socks from the fabulous Op-Art sock book?
First to tell you about the book, this book,
It’s by Stephanie Van der Lindern and available from Amazon here–>> Op-Art socks on Amazon
Not only is it stuffed with 19 really interesting sock patterns, each one is inspired by an artist from the Op-Art movement, there is a write up about each artist which I enjoyed almost as much as the great knitting patterns. There are a mixture of techniques but the most impressive socks seem to use fair-isle.
So which socks did I decide to make? Of course, I went for the ones on the cover, the Yaacov Socks
These socks (piccy from the book)…
They get that fabulous variation by using two balls of colour striping yarn in the same colourway at the same time, starting the balls at different points in the colour sequence. I’ve seen this done with one striping yarn and a solid to great effect but this is the first time I’ve seen it done like this.
They yarn used in the book (and by me!) is Lang Jawoll Magic Degrade.
So how did I get on?
Not well 😥
This is the first attempt- I was overjoyed with the pattern and way the colours had combined.
I got this far and was carefully ignoring the wonky stitches and the sides where I changed needles…
…and the rapidly improving fairisle technique (always takes me a while to get warmed up!) when I thought it would be a good idea to try it on…
“Oh Dear!” was the polite response 🙄
The corrugated rib at the top of the sock was WAY too tight and the rest of the sock was a bit snug too. I know I usually knit tight, especially with fairisle but the smallest size in these socks way supposed to be massive for my UK size 4(eur 37) feet!
After checking Ravelry (should have done that first – doh!) I found quite a few other knitters had had to jiggle needle sizes to get the right fit.
I wanted a pair of socks I could wear with pride so nothing for it but to start again. This took some doing as my knitting mojo is at an all time low!
I’m happy to report that after changing from 2.25mm needles to 2.75mm for the cuff’s corrugated rib and 2.5mm for the body I now have a sock that is a tiny bit loose but fits 😀
Wanna see the first sock?
As well as fitting properly (with a little room for post washing shrinkage and felting)
Here’s the side view too (unblocked and straight off the needles)…
No more socky beauty shots until I finish the second sock, which is going well! 😀
One of the tips in the book (and you really need to do this!!) is to make quite sure you know which is ball “A” and which is ball “B” – at certain points the colours are the same from each ball and it is mighty confusing. My solution was to shove a big stitch holder through ball “A” – not elegant but it works!
Oh, in case you are wondering how my furry beasts are enjoying the summer, while I’m blogging this morning, Kitty is maruding around the garden chasing mice, Ziggy is doing her best “Trip Hazzard” routine at the top of the stairs…
and Purcey is laying on my denim blankie advising on photography 🙂